Thursday, August 7, 2008

WATER - a suite of two poems by Isabel Telford

I Aqua Vita

In the dark and weightless space,
my home is sheltered
from an unforgiving world
as yet unknown; as time and motion
hold it’s breath……just for me.

I am a miracle of cell sufficiency, yet
by the knotted cord, she binds me to
her mother’s hopes, and loving expectation.
Through pulsing turbulence,
she whispers “come.”

As *REM sinks into tranquil sleep
within the muggy pond of nurture
which confines, constrains;
my aqua vita spills, gushes out
in primal force:
she strains, I weep. she grunts, I toil,
bearing forward to a tender meeting
with the singer of the songs
who gives me birth.
I feel her salty tears of life
upon my wrinkly skin…
and in a heartbeat,
water tolls the sorrow
of a watery end.

REM =rapid eye movement


2 Aqua Morte

Death enters in,
yet ‘life’ soars
in weightlessness,
all pain extinguished.
This sagging,
lifeless form
is but a ‘shade’
of much loved,
well worn landmarks,
sites of love’s caress
and sweetest kiss

Obscene and probing,
the canula violates
the flacid inert body,
still warm soft and pliant.
Internal fluids, blood, urine -
all the rest, quit; through orifices
great and small as one last tear
slides slowly down his sweet
and careworn face in silent tribute,
and as it leaves, we share a
moment till eternity.

3 comments:

Adrian said...

What a combination. The juxtaposition of ideas and power of such expressive words that went into the making of these two poems are perfect examples of the thought process worked on for the topic. They are the creative incentives which throw out the challenge to make our Blog so worthwhile. Thank you Isabel.

Kym said...

As always, Adrian, you have succinctly noted the poetic form. I think Isabel's pieces are extraordinary, weighty works.

Anonymous said...

Isabel, I remember when you read this out at the meeting and thinking it was so powerful, full of complex ideas and confronting images. I look forward to your next poem.