Friday, August 15, 2008

My Home

How you calm me
With your pounding.
How you ease me
With your strength.
How could I live without you?
Or even attempt to try.
You were my companion during youth
And also my advisor at certain times.
So much power I feel
From you.
Your music is sweetest
On silent summer nights,
Accompanied perhaps by the shrill song of cicadas
Announcing their arrival.

Your beauty is boundless.
I sit here, still at awe
By your unyielding temperament.
Let your waves lick my wounds,
For the ocean is my home.

Kym Matthews

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a terrific poem, Kym! I like the way the home of the title is only revealed at the end, making the reader want to read it again to understand it better. And I like the way you personify the ocean so it becomes your friend and confidant.

Adrian said...

Kym, those opening two lines, the first to allow you in with ease and caring, the second to throw you into confusion. A lovely start.
Then you allow the reader to be lulled into a sense of false security, right up to the conclusion of the first stanza.

What a simple yet dominant last line to finish the poem. There is no further discussion necessary. You have said it all. Complete, succinct and absolute.