Saturday, September 5, 2009

Time and Motion Study

A love song to my husband

Note: If anyone should think this poem is a strange way to express one's love for one's husband, please be reassured. It reflects our sense of humour. And its essence is truthful.


To start at the beginning:
What force transcribes our lives?
What planets collide to change
the course of ants?
What casual occurrence aeons ago
determines our path?

My mother had plenty to say:
“You could have had anyone, if you’d
only wear make-up.”
She had a list—descending, of course:
• A doctor, not in Obstetrics
• A lawyer, not Jewish
• A rich American, not Mormon
• A nice man in middle management.

My husband failed the grade.
But I, desperate and dateless at 39,
took him on.
He told his mother we had met
on Perfect Match, where I was Number 3.
He told me he had money.
He told me the planets had collided
and our fate forged in the fires within.
So be it.

If dogs at airports were trained
to sniff out losers
they would stop at John and bark.
I look at the Milky Way and question
the arbitrariness of life:
distant, indifferent planets colliding away,
making of us what they will.
Down here, off-course as usual,
we toast the kindness of stars.




Cathy McCallum

2 comments:

Kym said...

A tongue in cheek poem Cathy! I love it. I relate to the verse of your mother admonishing you for your choice! Similarly, mine did the same thing with Ian! I really enjoy writing that doesn't take things too seriously! Your poem obviously reflects how comfortable you are with each other. Very healthy and it certainly made me laugh and reflect.

Adrian said...

Cathy, your ability to construct a powerful piece is laid out for us in Time and Motion Study. Nothing wasted here; a surprisingly honest story, told in just one hundred and seventy five words and three numerals. It would put many a 'professional' poet to shame. i do like the humour hidden behind, what some might describe as a poignant message. It is a good job you can both laugh at it!