Saturday, March 7, 2009

On Cathy's Theme

I wondered on this theme called art
And stumbled from the very start,
For deep within my beating breast,
It quick became a deadly pest.

I searched for words both bright and gay,
I searched for weeks if I searched for a day,
But none about this thing arrived and
Throughout that time I bare survived.

This art you see is a damn cool dude,
In lots of ways it can be might shrewd
And to me it would not dare present,
Until my creative juices I had spent.

For Cathy and John it was their call
And a challenging theme they threw to us all ,
O, it made me strive and sweat and toil,
It made my blood near bloody well boil.

Then one fine moment it there popped up,
In a golden orb like a brazen young pup,
Ah! Here, says I it’s my chance to show
Their chosen theme with an artful flow.

So these few words I wrote right well,
And for the theme of art they’ll ring the bell,
Yez can all cheer loud as I deliver my spiel,
And allow me now some applause to steal.

But Cathy please and John too I say,
For when it comes your next poetry day,
Do choose a theme with greater ease
For we poets like to shoot the breeze

And pen some lines with power and might,
Not like this stuff that appears so trite,
With simple couplets that crash and bore,
That’s not how I want to take the floor

But if these few words can make me shine,
Then that for art they will do just fine
And now I says this is your bloomin’ lot
For if I go on it will just be tommy-rot.

It’s over now you can take your ease
And clap or boo just as you please,
I have done my best you can surely see,
So who’s the poet that comes after me?

Get up now quick and speak a powerful line,
Cause you wouldn’t want to borrow mine, for
I’m finished here and I’ve done a quare ol’ job
Praising up the theme of art to this here poet mob.



Adrian Kavanagh,
February 13th 2009.

2 comments:

Kym said...

I love the 'trite' poem Adrian. Put a smile on my face!

Anonymous said...

This is fun! And a good response to an inflated and pompous subject, Adrian. (I was worried about it myself.)
I was just looking at a website on good writing, and it said to make your metaphors 'concrete' and real. Just so! I also like your use of colloquial language - it grounds your poem.