Friday, February 20, 2009

My Home

How you calm me
With your pounding.
How you ease me
With your strength.
How could I live without you?
Or even attempt to try.
You were my companion during youth
And also my advisor at certain times.
So much power I feel
From you.
Your music is sweetest
On silent summer nights,
Accompanied perhaps by the shrill song of cicadas
Announcing their arrival.
Your beauty is boundless.
I sit here, still at awe
By your unyielding temperament.
Let your waves lick my wounds,
For the ocean is my home.

1 comment:

Adrian said...

What a lovely contradiction the opening two lines of this poem offer and the following two give the first their meaning even though we do not know the reason for such a conundrum; maybe we suspect.

The poem then takes us step by step with easy movements to the solace of the sea and isn't the sea in all its moods a calming, reassuring and powerful messenger.