Monday, October 20, 2008

Last Text from New York City

Christ it’s cold up here Nadine –
I can barely hit the keys
To send you this quick SMS
And put your mind at ease.

It’s hit the fan – it’s on the news
Wall Street’s shot to Hell –
Hong Kong’s gone and Tokyo
Is down the tubes as well.

The Nasdaq, Footsie, NYX
Are all in mad freefall.
Oil’s relapsed, Gold’s collapsed –
There’s nothing left at all!

This howling wind is freezing me
High up here on the ledge.
I’ve talked the talk, I’ve walked the walk
And now I’m on the edge.

Over there is Lady Liberty
Her torch held high and bright,
As the streets plunge into darkness
On this most awful night.

The Lear Jet’s gone, the condo,
The beach house up in Maine.
The yacht in Monto Carlo –
We won’t see that again.

The swank hotels, the ski trips,
The limos, dining out –
We’d have to start again my love,
We’d have to do without …

Remember down in Vegas
We met that broker Joe?
He’s just two guys along from me –
He says to say Hello.

They’re like lemmings on this ledge now –
They push and shove and bump.
I’ll text you later sweetheart –
Hey! They’re forcing me to …!


John McCallum

2 comments:

Adrian said...

Short, sharp and oh so much to the point right now. I can almost feel the chill wind atop the building, upon the ledge, toes touching the edge and then the abyss.

John you certianly hit the spot. All the greed, the lack of empathy for the others who never reach the dizzying heights of financial success. Then of course they never have to put themselves at such a risk. It's a damn good poem and zips along at a rate in the dollar which would please the pundits.

Kym said...

My thoughts exactly. Loved the poem as soon as you read it, John. Good piece.